Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Deciem The Ordinary's Salicylic Acid 2% Solution Review

So much for getting all my Deciem reviews done in January. While I've been busy with real, paying work, I'm determined to get two posts up this week so let's start with a look at a product I absolutely love: The Ordinary's Salicylic Acid 2% Solution.

While I'm in my 30s, I still regularly battle blemishes. Pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, I hate them and I want them gone. And with this product, I can just that. According to Deciem, this "2% treatment solution helps exfoliate the inside walls of pores to fight the appearance of blemishes and for better visible skin clarity with continued use." And yeah, that's exactly what this product does.

It's not a miracle-maker. If you put it on a nasty pimple it won't make it vanish overnight. However, I did find that it visibly improved pretty much any blemish-related problem area. Without a doubt, this product left me with clearer, brighter, healthier looking-skin.

However, there is too much of a good thing. If you keep applying this product day after day to the same spot, it'll replace those blemishes with dry skin. Because of that, I found that I couldn't really use this product as a preventative measure. Sure, if I saw an emerging problem I could pull it out and usually head off the problem by trying to be too proactive generally left me with dry spots.

But this side effect really shouldn't be a surprise since this treatment does contain 2% salicylic acid, which is pretty powerful stuff. It also has witch hazel, which is known to be irritating for some people's skin.

The texture of this product is a bit odd. It looks like water but it doesn't feel wet; it actually feels like nothing. It also would sometimes "lathered up" on my skin if I rubbed more than a drop or two onto my face. At first this concerned me but as quickly as the lather appeared, it disappeared and left my skin feeling and looking like it didn't have a serum on. While I rarely wore makeup over this product (I generally only use salicylic acid at night), when I did, this liquid didn't pill or otherwise interfere with my foundation. It also behaved itself nicely with whatever other moisturizers or serums were layered over or near it. Finally, it's scent free, which should make many people happy.

Like all The Ordinary products, this one is dirt cheap, only $5.30 for 30ml. It's packaged in a simple, opaque glass bottle that comes with a pipette for application. While glass bottles always make me a little nervous, I do like this product's simple, effective packaging that also keeps the serum away from my dirty hands.

Would I buy this product: Yes! I already have a back-up bottle purchased.

Should you buy this product: If you have sensitive skin, skip it, it's likely too strong for you. It's also not the right choice is you have a serious pimple problem. But if you're like me and just periodically get blemishes, you'll want to add this item to your arsenal.


No comments:

Post a Comment