Monday, May 4, 2015

Make Up For Ever Step 1: Skin Equalizer Mattifying Primer

Last week I wrote no posts because last week was crazy at work and, to add to the fun, I didn’t feel great. But while internally I was feeling gross, my face was looking great thanks in part to the primer I was wearing: Make Up For Ever’s new Step 1: Skin Equalizer Mattifying primer (disclaimer time: I received my tube of primer for free, from MUFE).

Step 1: Skin Equalizer is MUFE’s new primer line, consisting of 10 formulas, each targeted at a specific need such dry skin, redness or lack of radiance. At first the system looks a little intimidating until you realize that five of the products are basically the same item, the Radiant primer, just designed for different skin tones. All 10 formulas claim that to deliver three key benefits: “makeup goes on seamlessly,” “optimized color & finish” and “longer staying power.” They contain hyaluronic acid to hydrate skin, a vegetal sugar “…that boosts cellular renewal for a more unified texture” and something called “acti-tensor 3D,” which supposedly “’blurs’ imperfections.”

The various formulas can be mixed and matched though I would recommend heading down to Sephora, preferably one with a MUFE boutique, first to experience the various options as they vary a lot in texture. This visit will also give you a chance to speak with someone who thoroughly knows this line. I did this and learned that while some formulas can be blended together, others, like the Mattifying primer, are best layered.

That’s because of the texture of the Mattifying primer. Unlike most primers, which are silky-feeling, this formula is thick and doesn’t go on as easily as I would like. Thankfully, once it’s on, it absorbs quickly and leaves your skin feeling like it’s bare. It also does create an excellent base for makeup, allowing foundation to go on quickly and smoothly.

Click to expand
According to MUFE, the Mattifying primer is, “…the answer to unwanted shine, fighting against excess oil to ensure a matte makeup result.” It also “…instantly reduces pore size and controls shine for a flawless makeup all day long.” I didn’t notice a real difference in pore sizes but this product did do a great job at fighting shine and keeping my makeup in-place. I would apply it around 9 am and at lunchtime, my face was completely matte and my makeup looked like it was just applied. By the end of the work day, a bit of shine had crept onto my face but overall, my makeup still looked great.

While using this product, I did some split face tests in which half my face wore Step 1 and the other half wore Make Up For Ever HD Microperfecting Primer. While the end results were pretty much the same, I did prefer the silky smooth text of the HD primer. Unfortunately for me, it looks like that product has been discontinued. 

Step 1 is not a cheap product, retailing at $42. If you find that you would like to mix and match, the costs quickly add up. That’s just all the more reason to see this product in action at Sephora, and to see if you can get some samples to see if they work for you.

With the Mattifying primer, a little went a long way, and I would think that’s true for the rest of the line. All 10 versions are also appropriately packaged, in hygienic squeeze tubes that also do a great job at keep air out.

Will I buy this product: I might though as I said above, a little goes a long way so I fully expect to still be using the same tube come the fall, when something new will probably be released. I’m also intrigued by the Smoothing primer, which the clerk at Sephora highly recommends (it also has that silky texture that I prefer).

Should you buy this product: You should certainly check it out first-hand, as it’s a solid line that offers something for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment