Monday, December 29, 2014

Clear Intense Hydration Deep Nourishing Treatment Mask

Last week I raved about Clear Intense Hydration Nourishing Shampoo and Conditioner, saying that I would happily buy those products, as well as try out other lines by the Clear brand. But while I'm quite happy with the results of the shampoo and conditioner, the third Clear item I received in my Spark Sessions swag bag didn't impress me.

That item is Clear Intense Hydration Deep Nourishing Treatment Mask. According to Clear, it's a "damaged hair remedy that is clinically proven to help replenish the scalp with 95% more hydrated hair in 3 minutes (when using Clear Shampoo & Mask vs. non-conditioning Shampoo) making hair resilient to dryness for soft, silky tresses." It does this by using "cactus extract, a known hydrator" and something called Nutrium10, which supposedly “…deeply nourishes your scalp," both ingredients that its shampoo and conditioner relatives, it contain.

When I first tried this product, I followed the instructions exactly: I shampooed first using my Clear shampoo, then massaged the creamy mask all through my hair. After letting it sit for three minutes, I rinsed it out and ended up with hair that didn't look or feel overly different than from when I used the conditioner.

But that couldn't be, right? Surely a hair mask would deliver better results than a conditioner, right? There was only way to be sure: Run multiple split head tests, where one side of my head would get the conditioner and then other half would get the mask.

I did this test three times and every time the results were the same: Soft, super-shiny hair that was healthy, hydrated and very manageable. Visually, I couldn't see any difference though the side that received the conditioner did feel a bit silkier.

I was always sure to leave the mask in for at least three minutes. It was applied first and then, about a minute later, the conditioner went on. This did result in the conditioner having the opportunity to soak in, which might help to explain the near identical results of the two products.

Had I never tried Clear Intense Hydration Nourishing Conditioner, I might have been impressed by this mask, which does deliver great results. However, since I know that I can get those same results by just using the conditioner, why do I need to spend another $7/$8 on the mask?


Would I buy this product: No.

Should you buy this product: My first thought is "no" however, if your regular shampoo and conditioner aren't delivering enough shine and, for whatever reason, don't want to switch away from those products, adding Clear Intense Hydration Deep Nourishing Treatment Mask into your routine might be the solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment