Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Benefit Cosmetics Stay Flawless 15-Hour Primer

Whenever a product bases a claim around a specific timeframe, I automatically start looking for the words “up to” in front of that timeframe. Those two tiny words mean that a product that says that it works “up to 12 hours” can really only work for one hour and still remain true to its claim.

So, in preparation for this review of Benefit’s Stay Flawless 15-Hour Primer, I headed over the brand’s webpage for this item and looked for “up to.” I couldn’t find it and, after wearing this product daily for a week straight, I understand why: It really does last for 15 hours. What I did find on that webpage was lots of other numbers. According to Benefit, “a consumer panel survey” found that:

  • 94% said it helps foundation last longer
  • 97% saw an improvement in the look of skin/complexion
  • 94% said it increased foundation coverage
  •  97% said it enhanced foundation’s performance
These numbers sound too good to be true but again, after using this primer for a week I completely agree (and unlike the survey users, I didn’t even use Hello Flawless liquid foundation and powder). This primer did a great job at keeping my foundation in place, leaving me with skin that looked almost as good at 9pm as it did at 9am.

I say “almost” because this primer did allow my face to develop some shine. However, Benefit does say that this product will give you a “natural-looking finish” and, to be fair, there is nothing natural about the very matte look that I prefer. But a mild glow? That’s completely natural and exactly what this primer leaves you with.

 But apart from that bit of shine, which really wasn’t that bad, my skin looked great. Benefit claims that this primer “acts like a magnet to lock on your foundation for 15 fresh and flawless hours” and that’s pretty much what it did.

Well, expect for on the small patch of skin on my chin that’s currently consumed by… I don’t what but “pimple” is too kind of word for it. It’s an angry blemish that is both red and shiny and dry and flaky. The primer initially did a great job of helping to conceal it but by noon, the bump and all its ugliness was once again clearly visible. However, that blemish is a pretty extreme situation and I don’t think there’s anything out there that would successfully hide it for even four hours, let alone 15. Overall, I’m pretty impressed with how this product works and I think that its $38 price tag is appropriate, especially since a little of this primer goes a long way.

But while there is a lot to love about this primer, it does have one big downfall: Its packaging. This primer is in stick form and while it does glide on quickly and easily, it’s not the most hygienic format. Touching the primer directly to your skin means that dirt, oil, dead skin and other nasties are transferred onto it, which deteriorates the product as well as can potentially lead to spreading those nasties over your face.

Too bad because while the format of this primer isn’t ideal, the formula is great.

Would I buy this product: If this product came in a smaller size, I would happily snap it up for travelling purposes. While that stick format isn’t the most hygienic, it is ideal for travel and really, how dirty can it get over a week or two? (No, I don’t really want to know that.) But no, I likely won't be buying the full-sized stick.

Should you buy this product: Yes but only if you’re comfortable with having to throw out a product (and not a cheap one) before it’s all used up. As soon as pimples start popping up or the primer starts feeling greasy, it’s time to toss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment