Friday, October 10, 2014

Pantene Pro-V Ultimate 10 Shampoo & Conditioner

Pantene’s new Pro-V Ultimate 10 collection is a mixed bag of products.  I used its shampoo and conditioner, along with the Pro-V Ultimate 10 BB Crème (which I reviewed last week), for about a week and half and wasn’t impressed at all with the line. But then after I started doing split hair tests with the BB Crème, and then dropped it all together, the look and feel of my hair improved.

Let me back for a minute and make it clear that I received all three of the products mentioned above for free from BzzAgent, an online product-testing club that I belong to. But don’t worry, here at StuffLindsayBought.blogspot.com, free products do not equal a positive review.

According to Pantene, this new line is all about multi-tasking products that deliver the following 10 results:

1) Repair for Rough Hair
2) Strength Against Damage
3) Silky Softness
4) Brilliant Shine
5) Smoothing
6) Moisture
7) Frizz Control
8) Heat Protection
9) Manageability
10) Tamed Flyaways

It’s also “gentle enough for chemically-treated or colored hair,” “ideal for all hair types that are prone to manageability concerns” and even supposedly results in “clinically proven healthier hair with every wash” (though what that exactly means isn’t expanded on on the product’s web page).

For the first week-and-a-half, I found that using this line left my hair was duller and frizzier than normal. I was not impressed but kept using it mostly because it was in my shower and I was too lazy to pull my old shampoo and conditioner out from the cupboard.

At the same time, I did a couple of split head tests that saw me use the leave-in BB Crème on one side of my hair and either nothing, or another leave-in product, on the other side. While highly unscientific, these tests did reveal that the BB Crème was the problem. When I paired the shampoo and conditioner with another leave-in product, or didn’t use one at all, my hair was its usual, soft, shiny self (though frizz about the crown was still a problem).

I then did a couple of split tests using the Ultimate 10 shampoo and conditioner (and no BB Crème) on one side and a different shampoo and conditioner on the other side. A part from there being a touch more frizz on the Pantene side, there was no real, visible difference between the two sides of my head.

While my hair did look good while using tUltimate 10 shampoo and conditioner, it did not look its best nor did it “score a perfect 10.” More like a 7 and that’s in part because this line is reasonably priced, with both the shampoo and conditioner coming in at around $6.

You can though get it for even cheaper than that if you use the $2 off coupon that you can find over here.

Would I buy these products: No. There’s better stuff out there for my hair.

Should you buy these products: Not if you’ve already found something that works for your hair. However, if you’re in the market for something new, and frizz isn’t a big issue for you, it won’t hurt to give them a shot (especially if you use the coupon or get them on sale).

No comments:

Post a Comment