Thursday, March 14, 2013

TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Collection

First off, a disclaimer: I received my full-sized containers of TRESemmé Keratin Smooth shampoo, conditioner and heat protection spray for free as a Klout perk (for more on Klout, including how to join, head over here).  But don’t worry, just because I got this stuff for free doesn't mean I’ll be easy on it.


This new collection from TRESemmé, which is lower in sulphates than the company’s Smooth & Silky line, supposedly “…nourishes hair and infuses keratin from root to top” resulting in hair that's "...gorgeously smooth, shiny and managable" as well as “An instantly smoother style and frizz control that lasts for up to 48 hours.**”

That ** means this: “Based on Keratin System with use of flat iron until next wash” (at least it does on the promotional material I was given; on the website and bottle it means "vs. a non-conditioning shampoo"). As someone with naturally straight hair, I rarely bust out the flat iron and didn't do so while trying out this product. But I did put these products through quite a few other scenarios, including some that used my hair dryer. They’re outlined below, with the combinations that resulted in the best results on top:

1. Garnier’s Clean and Clean shampoo, TRESemmé Keratin Smooth conditioner,  air dry
2. *Tie* TRESemmé Keratin Smooth shampoo, conditioner, heat spray, blow dryer
2. *Tie* Split test: TRESemmé Keratin Smooth shampoo and conditioner all over, the heat spray on one half of my head and Pantene’s Weightless Conditioning Shake on the other half
4. TRESemmé Keratin Smooth shampoo, conditioner, air dry
5. TRESemmé Keratin Smooth shampoo, conditioner, blow dry

The results of my top test
Initially I was quite surprised by the testing scenario that took top spot however, after thinking a bit about it, it makes sense. I switched from the TRESemmé shampoo to the Garnier for one wash about a week and a half into this whole experiment. By then, it’s possible that the TRESemmé products had begun to build up on my hair and that by using the clarifying shampoo, I was able to wash away that build-up. Then, with my hair a squeaky-clean palette, I was able to get the most out of the conditioner and end up with really shiny hair that had almost no frizz.

As for the second place tie, the TRESemmé and the Pantene heat protection sprays were both equally good at minimizing frizz. In fact, had you seen my hair that day, you never would have guessed that I used one product on one half and a different product on the other half.

But if you’d seen my hair on a day when I’d skipped the spray but not the blow dry, you probably would have recommended some kind of post-wash treatment as it was on the frizzy side. But while it looked a bit messy, it was still shiny, soft and actually quite manageable.

I know that TRESemmé’s focus with this product is fighting frizz but I actually found myself more impressed with how shiny this product made my hair. Overall, I found this line's frizz-fighting powers typical for a moisturizing line, meaning that while I did experience less frizz, I didn't end up with “…frizz-free salon smoothness without the salon price.”

But while I disagree with the start of that claim, there’s no way anyway can take issue with the back half. All products run under the $8 price point, which is a more than fair prices for a trio of products that do a more-than-acceptable job at giving you pretty, frizz-reduced hair.

Personally, I'm indifferent to the lathering-power of hair products but for those of you who care about that stuff, the shampoo and conditioner producer your typical amount of lather. They also both have a very mild, soapy smell that I think most people would be fine with.

And oh yes, the shampoo did a fine job of actually cleaning my hair and while I'm sure these products were leaving build-up on my strands, they never looked or felt weighed down. It's also suitable for coloured hair.

Would I buy these products: I certainly would buy the heat spray (though if the Pantene one was available for cheaper I would opt for it). I can also see myself picking up the conditioner again as I think that’s the product that’s the most effective. But I don’t know about the shampoo. Maybe…

Should you buy these products: If you have fine hair, you might want to skip the shampoo and conditioner. But if you don’t, give this line a try. While it certainly won’t eliminate frizz, it does a good job at fighting it and an even better job at adding in shine. It also is very reasonably priced.

1 comment:

  1. I tried these products as well via a Klout perk. I have frizzy hair and was very impressed that the shampoo/conditioner cut my frizz in half! I was quite pleased :)

    ReplyDelete