Thursday, November 22, 2012

Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer

Well this was a disappointment. I had really high hopes for Smashbox's classic primer, which Sephora has named as its best primer and was listed by Marie Claire as one of the "25 Products That Will Change Your Life," but sadly this product let me down.

Containing grape seed exact, green tea, vitamins A and E and of course silicone, this product has all the right ingredients to be an amazing primer. And it does feel great. Just like Smashbox claims, this is a lightweight product that feels silky on both my fingers and my face.

Unfortunately I found that this product did not give me the "...flawless skin with a velvety-smooth finish" that Smashbox says this primer creates. It did nothing to reduce the appearance of pores, fine lines or any other 3D blemishes. And while it played nicely with my makeup, it didn't really do much to help keep it in place, nor did it do much to mattify my skin (in fact L’Oreal Magic Perfecting Base Face Primer did a better job in both of those areas).

I tried numerous split-face tests with this product, which involved me using it on one half of my face but not on the other. While the primed side always did feel nicer, at least initially, the only time it looked nicer was when my face was bare and even that effect didn't last too long. By the time I hit the two-hour mark, you would have never known that I had applied a primer to one side of my face.

At least I discovered that this product didn't work for me via the deluxe sample that I received as part of my Shoppers fall beauty bonus. I would have hated to have bought a full-sized tube of this stuff, especially since it costs around $44 at Sephora. 

Would I buy this product:
Nope! This primer just isn't for me.

Should you buy this product:
I would say no but a ton of people love this primer so maybe the issue here is my skin and not this product. Because of that, see if you can get a sample before you dismiss or invest in this item.

No comments:

Post a Comment